We are open for business.
OPEN CALL for submissions for
The 7th Annual OUTBURST QUEER ARTS FESTIVAL BELFAST
15th-22nd November 2013
Over the last seven years, OUTBURST has grown from a small community event to a dynamic celebration of local and international queer Arts, culture, visibility and ideas.
OUTBURST aims to entertain and inspire a diverse audience, while raising awareness of LGBTQ stories and issues in Northern Ireland through performance, screenings, talks, workshops, visual art and much more.
And it’s probably a little bit on the more fabulous side of how that sounds.
As a curated festival that loves sharing new ideas and new ways of telling our stories, we are as passionate about facilitating creative spaces for developing LGBTQ voices as we are about bringing you brilliant professional and international touring work.
We also love working in partnership with other organisations, venues, statutory bodies and community groups to produce work that is relevant, entertaining and exciting and that gets the community talking.
OUTBURST is a festival for everyone.
And we can’t wait to hear your ideas.
WHAT WE PROGRAMME
OUTBURST programmes work that fulfills one or more of the following criteria:
1. Has a lesbian, gay, bi, trans or queer theme
2. Is by an LGBTQ identified writer/producer/performer
3. Is of particular interest to people who are LGBTQ
To keep the festival fresh for audiences, we programme work that hasn’t been produced or seen in Northern Ireland before and that will not be available to see or experience elsewhere here throughout the year. We welcome new work or new ideas from returning artists.
We aim to balance the programme across all genres, platforms, age groups and audiences. From cutting edge performance to interactive kids’ entertainment, we try to have something in our programme for everyone. Regardless of the targeted audience, we want it to be a different, challenging, fresh experience.
OUTBURST favours the surprising, the new and the wonderfully queer.
We see Outburst as part of the ongoing conversation in our community and we like to promote work that has more than a surface understanding of LGBTQ issues and lives. We particularly welcome work that shows an understanding of Northern Irish queer experiences in all their complexity and diversity. We want people to engage and to have opportunities to learn from each other through OUTBURST, so we always love to hear from groups and artists who can provide engaging creative workshops or interactive creative opportunities as part of their submissions.
OUTBURST values professional and “amateur” creative work equally and we actively aim to accommodate all levels of experience in the programme. Because your submission details may vary slightly depending on your level of experience, especially if you are an organisation, group or individual new to submitting work to a festival, please read the note below the list and that should help.
HOW TO SUBMIT WORK AND EVENT IDEAS
Please send your information to us by May 31st 2013.
Email the following information to moc.stratsrubtuonull@snoissimbus or pop it in the post to
OUTBURST Queer Arts Festival
9-13 Waring Street
BELFAST BT1 2DX
1. Contact name, address, phone number, email address and Skype details (if available)
2. A paragraph about your proposed event (no more than 300 words.)
3. Details of artists, performers, writers etc. involved in the event, including relevant CVs. A group or company CV is fine where more appropriate.
4. Details of any productions, screenings or performances of your proposed event to date, including any reviews, audience feedback etc.
5. Additional support materials such as your website, social networks or other digital links. Any scripts, images, books, screeners or videos relating to your event are also very helpful to us in building up a full picture of your proposal.
6. A budget breakdown of your proposed event costs, including info on any funding you have already sourced or applied for.
7. A short paragraph on how you think OUTBURST can best support your event in the programme and why your event is particularly relevant to LGBTQ people and our wider audiences in Northern Ireland.
Note: If you are not a professional artist, company or group and don’t have a lot of backup materials, you can just send us what’s relevant in relation to the submission list above. It’s often the case that ideas by new or developing artists and groups need additional development time once ideas have been submitted. Or maybe require external support from experienced mentors or producers. OUTBURST is happy to facilitate this developmental way working and we encourage you to arrange a chat to see how we can best support you.
If you are part of an LGBTQ group or a non- LGBTQ group, organisation or body that would like to take part in or support the festival, we’d be delighted to hear from you. We can discuss or suggest event ideas or tie-ins that may support your work or aims in relation to LGBT people.
All programming is subject to funding.
Because of large volume of submissions we get for Outburst, it is not always possible to enter into detailed discussions about each submission but we will do our best to answer any queries via moc.stratsrubtuonull@snoissimbus. If your event is the right fit for this year’s programme, we will be in touch to discuss your proposal in more detail.
Thank you for stopping by.